ILSG Student Paper Awards
Each year, the Institute selects the best of the student presentations
and honors presenters with a monetary award. Funding for the award is
comes from registration at the annual meeting. The Student Paper
Committee is appointed by the annual meeting Chair in such a manner as
to represent a broad range of professional and geologic expertise.
Criteria for best student paper-last modified by the Board in
1) The contribution must be demonstrably the work of
2) The student must present the contribution
3) The Student Paper Committee shall decide how many
awards to grant, and whether or not to give separate awards for poster
vs. oral presentations.
4) In cases of multiple student authors, the award
will be made to the senior author, or the award will be shared equally
by all authors of the contribution.
5) The total amount of the awards is left to the
discretion of the meeting Chair and Secretary-Treasurer, but typically
is in the amount of about $500 US .
6) The Secretary-Treasurer maintains, and will
supply to the Committee, a form for the numerical ranking of
presentations. This form was created and modified by Student Paper
Committees over several years in an effort to reduce the difficulties
that may arise from selection by raters of diverse background. The use
of the form is not required, but is left to the discretion of the
7) The names of award recipients shall be included
as part of the annual Chair's report that appears in the next volume of
Student papers will be noted on the Program.
Institute on Lake Superior Geology Main Page